Skip to main content

Reply to "Early commit"

Originally Posted by nas9005:

Shoveit:

Thanks for sharing.  Real story complete with fear, frustration, pain and success.  All from just a high school kid and his family.  Not bad for a stupid game.  I applaud the personal triumph for your son and family.

I agree.  While I am not a fan of super early commitments nor of backing out of them at all, your story is fresh and raw and it helps me see the other side of the latter a little bit better.

Have no idea (nor do I want to know) who the Big10 coach is, but its disappointing (but not surprising) that a coach would speak those words.  D1 coaches across the land cut kids off every year for lack of performance among other things.  No, not all of them, but its not uncommon either.  And this coach either does it or knows about it - and to speak those words to a 17/18-year old isn't good IMO.  I mighta thought what he said, but I couldn't have brought myself to say it nor to trash a kid even if it seemed warranted.  Not classy at all and woulda made my advice to son as a parent genuinely easy at that point.

Thanks!

Last edited by justbaseball