Skip to main content

Reply to "Early Commitments at Son's Dream School"

I agree wholeheartedly with the above.  My son had many dream schools throughout the process.  For various reasons, they fell off at various times throughout the process. 

1. Mostly, he was never going to be "good" enough to be chosen and even if he was, probably wouldn't play. And these are usually the schools with a nearly full class by the time your kid is a sophomore. Sometimes, the coach just turned out to be an ass, someone he couldn't see playing for.

2. A school/coach will find your son through a camp or tournament and show interest via contacting the coach, invite to a prospect camp, etc. And that may become the dream school because the coach/facilities/record etc is excellent.  My son went to a few where they showed SO much interest in him at the event and then for months and years after. Sometimes it works out and the offer comes, sometimes you get ghosted. 

3. You go to a camp on campus on a whim because you hear they need your son's position. Maybe your travel coach knows the coach. You go, lots of other schools there and your son falls in love with the campus/town/field. Now we have another top prospect school! They have $$ to offer (baseball or academic) so you as the parent are elated!! 

So many scenarios so I'll leave it at that, but he's young.  There's a lot of growing and changing to be done. Emotionally and physically. Geography, financial and potential majors become more important. Let it all play out.  It almost always works out. Our travel coach who is young told us a few years back something that resonated and actually came to fruition with my son.  He said "You never know what can happen. A school you have never heard of can come out of nowhere at the exact right time and be the one you choose. Stay open to any and all opportunities." 

Happened to us in October and we are so happy that it did. Dreams come in all shapes and sizes.  Don't look past any opportunities. There are many fits for your son out there. 

Best of luck!