Skip to main content

Reply to "Early Commitments at Son's Dream School"

Some touched on this already, but I would caution him against being too "stuck" on this dream school.  My son had a dream school - dad's alma mater.  When it really came down to it, he realized his dream school was not the right fit for him.  Lots of factors played into this realization - money (out of state) was a big one.  I also think that after visiting campus and being at a camp, the "vibe" from the program and the school was just not him.  Hard to explain, but I told him he would just get a feeling when he was on the right campus.  He ended up choosing a school that was completely off the radar.  They sought him out and he finally relented and went to visit.  He got that feeling I told him about and knew it was right.  All of the other pieces were right as well - money, town, academics, etc.  I guess what I am saying is all the kids have the school they grew up dreaming they would play for, and sometimes that works out.  But don't fret if it doesn't.  There are so many amazing schools out there and there is one that is just right - just keep an open mind!