Reply to "Early Commitments at Son's Dream School"

I read on here all the time the turnover in D1 baseball.  I began to look back at the guys who played with my sons that we knew personally playing travel ball.  There are at least 50 kids on this list that went D1.  There are only about 5 that started at a D1 and ended up somewhere else.  That is 10%.  I consider that a very small number.  1 of those flunked out and never played anywhere.  1 got arrested right before college and then again in his freshman fall so he was sent home and is at juco.  Two had injuries and never fully recovered and 1 went to his dream school and didn't make the team as a true walk-on.  But I don't think anyone outside his family thought he had a snowball's chance.  I wonder as we talk about this high percentage of D1 players who do not make it what % that really is that were recruited, not true walk-ons. 

I even looked at the players on my son's team this year that were redshirted or cut and is not coming back.  1 was from 15 hours away and was homesick all fall.  1 was told from the beginning that it would be a longshot but he was willing to try.  several were medical redshirts.  1 missed a couple of practices and classes so he did himself in.  But when you look at the number that are leaving it is still less than 10%. 

So let's be honest because I keep hearing on almost every thread of the large number of players who don't finish at the school they started.  I also hear the phrase stud who did not make it and I have a hard time believing that.  Every stud that I know played as a freshman.  But my definition of stud is different than some.  I put it in perspective of all players not just that area.  I do not know of a stud who did not contribute their freshman year at P5.