Skip to main content

Reply to "EARLY COMMITMENTS RAISE CONCERNS - Baseball America Cahill"

Smitty28 posted:
2019cubdad posted:

My post linking the article on Facebook:

But the coaches keep recruiting the 5%'ers and the kids keep committing. I find it interesting that a kid would even have a "dream" school at 14 or 15 years old unless he is raised in a family that bleeds a certain school's colors and has their name on buildings all over campus. A dream school because of a sport? How many of these kids have visited other college campuses before committing? How many know in what subject they want to major? Does the school even have that major? When it comes to baseball, does the style of play fit his game? Will the coach that is recruiting him be there when he finally arrives? Seems to me that some priorities are out of line. I can't imagine missing out on the many visits to college campuses I took prior to settling on my final choice between my junior year and senior year. The journey is something I will never forget and it forged relationships that remain with me to this day. Unfortunately in this day in age, for the ones that are trying to do it the right way, if they find the right school that is the right fight fit socially and academically, it might be too late for the last piece of puzzle. Such a shame.

I couldn't agree with you more, except for the bolded sentence.  The focus of the article is the top 50... these kids are outliers who more than likely have draft/MLB aspirations and for these kids school major is probably a non-thought.

For the rest of the 4000+ kids that commit by the time they graduate HS, the median commitment date is reached sometime in late summer of the rising senior year, from what I've gleaned from the PG commit data.  IMO, this is just about right.

You mean just a few months prior to the NLI signing, when the coach actually has a clue if he's staying next year and if HE can use you?  SHOCKER!

I've looked at a few D1's locally to me and their recruiting timeline, except the two HUGE ones it's pretty on par with the rising seniors summer.  So there are D1's that just start to commit kids then, not all are chasing after pre-shaving teenagers.