Skip to main content

Reply to "EARLY COMMITMENTS RAISE CONCERNS - Baseball America Cahill"

PGStaff posted:

We need to understand that this is simply a product of competition.  We  could see this coming several years ago.

It really doesn't pertain to divisions below DI and happens most often at the higher levels of DI.  In most every case it favors the college rather than the player.

Blaze Jordan is a very unusual player.  I doubt he will end up at Mississippi State or any other college.  He is actually talented enough to play DI baseball right now.  Kind if falls in the category of Bryce Harper and Justin Upton at that age.  He doesn't even have his man strength yet and he is one of the top power hitters in HS baseball.  BTW, he also throws 90 mph from the mound.  I think he is not a good example of committing early, because any college coach in the country would want him.

There are other things to consider, some that actually help even the DI playing field.  For the most part it is the top programs in the country that are recruiting these young kids.  Late to the party are many northern schools that are now getting commitments from talented young kids in the north before they are seen by the power schools.  Hopefully they will be able to keep most of those players. 

I see the beginning stages of a trend where northern schools are closing the gap and becoming more competitive with the warm climate power programs.

Odd thing is, we started doing events for younger (underclass) kids years ago.  Back then there might be Army or Navy, but no SEC, ACC or other power conference coaches in attendance.  The only MLB scout you would see would be if a scout happened to have his kid in the event.  What we did see was about 100 agent/advisers looking for young talent to talk to.  Times have changed and now at those same events we see a hundred or more college coaches looking for the next Blaze Jordan.  I don't blame them, in fact I applaud them for working so hard and being so competitive.

So who is to blame, if anyone?  IMO it is the parents more than anyone else.  If a power house program wants a kid to commit in 8th or 9th grade, what does that tell you?  It should tell you they believe that kid will be someone everyone will want when he is a junior or senior in HS.  If they are wrong about that kid, they will adjust accordingly. If they are right which happens a lot, they got what they wanted.  So if you are the parent of a very talented young player and the top colleges want him.  If he progresses as most do, do you think that same college and others will no longer want him... just because he wasn't ready to commit as a freshman?  Doesn't it make sense that the top colleges want the top players?  If needed they seem to always find a way to make room for a top guy. In a perfect world that player they offer as a freshman is the player they want when he is a senior.  They want him!

By not committing early will you be losing a great opportunity?  In most cases it is the junior that counts in the end.  A great freshman who turns out to be an average junior is not what they want.  When they tell you that they expected you to progress much more, that you will never play at their school and you should look elsewhere, think about that early decision you made.  What about that opportunity you were afraid of losing? They (recruiter) made a mistake projecting your son.  Too bad for you, now start over.  However it should be noted that many of these early commitments end up being very successful for both the college and the player. And yes there are also some kids that end up being devastated, as well.

One problem for the player is that no one knows exactly what the program will look like in 4 years.  The draft, eligibility, transfers, coaching changes, and more.  There is just a lot of uncertainty.  And I guess it should be mentioned that players can also decommit if they want. 

Bottom Line... Good or Bad, It is what it is, I don't think it will change very soon.  They can shorten the recruiting time lines, but that just gives the power schools a bigger advantage.  They simply have more people, a bigger network, helping them find players.  Also a big advantage for programs that are in states loaded with talent.

FWIW, here is my suggestion.  If you have a son that is being recruited heavily at a very young age, in other words he is extremely talented... simply tell every recruiter you are very flattered, but you will not be making any decision or commitment before your junior year.  If you are truly what they want, you will be followed closely before making that decision in a couple years.  They don't forget about the players they want the most.  If things change and they are no longer interested everything ends up the way it should.  Player ends up where he belongs and he will be happier.

Even more important... Do what you want, because that is all that really counts.

If I'm correct (and this info comes from my son), player above hit HR's in the 14U, 15U, 16U and 17U WWBA's BEFORE HE STEPPED ON A HIGH SCHOOL CAMPUS.  Also hit a couple HR's in Jupiter, as well as a 504 ft HR in a HR derby.