Skip to main content

Reply to "Early Recruit Signing"

Jlr58 posted:

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely use the search tool. As for his circumstances; we are in Southern Missouri and have a well known travel program in our area. He has played on a "Majors" level independent team for the last couple years (11U AAA, 12U AAA, 13U majors, 14U majors USSSA).

My son is very lucky to have an experienced and knowledgeable high school coach.  I have confidence in his development ability and he schedules showcase type tournaments if the ability level of the boys fits the situation in the summer time. If he continues to progress and wants to continue on the path of playing at the next level we will look for a good fit with an academy type travel team for his summer after his Sophomore year.

He has above average hitting ability from what I see. Exit velo was 96 last week (tee, BBCOR). His fastball is average or slightly above, 82mph also last week. He has a decent glove but is lacking in speed. His latest 60 time was 7.8 I think. Of course he thinks the timekeeper was wrong!

Like I originally posted, my wife and I are wanting to position him to achieve his dream of playing D1 baseball but don't really want him caught up in the hype of the PBR or PG rankings, recruiting sites etc.. All of that will come but for now we would rather he not focus on where he is ranked (Not bashing those site's, I think they are a great tool) but have fun and enjoy getting better.  I feel like it is my job for now to facilitate the process.

Again, thanks for all of the information. I would imagine there are a great many who use this forum without ever posting and the knowledge that is passed on does give one a sense of the landscape and others unique experiences.

This week PG is letting everyone have full access to the site, it's their Holiday present to the baseball community and it's awesome.  Having said that,what is listed for the class of 2020 is from a very very very small group of participants and not indicative of what that class actually has going on. 

PG can only correlate what they have seen and measured and in an average PG event the 60 times and OF velocities aren't measured.  Those are only done during things like showcases and the BCS.  I would guess that 98% of 2020's haven't done either of those things so there are stats like the #17 fastest catcher velo is 59mph, the 49th best pop time was a 2.68, the 51st best 60 time was a 7.48????

My point is...getting bogged down in which 2020's are in the top ten, or top 100, is pointless right now because the majority hasn't been measured at a PG event and so they aren't listed. I would also wager that 50% of the 2020's haven't achieved the height they will have by their Junior year, which is when the real recruiting typically kicks off. 

Being in Missouri my guess would be you are going to have to go to Iowa or Georgia for a few PG events, or possibly a showcase...eventually.