Skip to main content

Reply to "Early season HS pitch counts"

Chico Escuela posted:

Thanks to all--I appreciate the perspectives.  I guess I should give some additional info:  

My son goes to a small, private K-12 school, and the baseball coach has known him (and followed his baseball progress) since the boy was 10 or 11 years old.  So both my son and I know the coach well--not trying to paint him as a bad guy. The team has been doing winter workouts since at least early January, and the Ps have been throwing bullpens for a few weeks (maybe 3?).  My son pitched in a scrimmage vs. another HS last week--he threw about 45 pitches, then had four days off before the game this week.

I don't think throwing 90+ pitches was crazy; but I don't think it was a great idea either.  And I don't think the coach planned on so many pitches going in.  My son said the coach asked him if he could go another inning after about 78 pitches.  My son's take on that: "What am I going to say? Of course I told him I could do it." Personally, unless a P is hurt, I wouldn't ever expect him to want to give up the ball.   

I'm at least going to wait and see what happens next week before I say anything.  If my son throws 90+ again, I will probably have a conversation with the coach. The boy is the team's #1, but honestly they are not very good this year.  I believe in playing to win, but there's only so much you should do to try to finish 4th in the conference instead of 5th or 6th.

That's good Chico but if he is #1 on a weak team, that will put all the more pressure on the coach to want to roll him out as often and as long as he can.  I think based on what you said that the conversation will be easier because there is a good relationship but I still think it's a good idea to have it and sooner than later.  You have the easy open... "You know my son will never say no to you...but... "    I think you have a very reasonable and correct perspective and you will likely be his strongest protector.  

Last edited by cabbagedad