Skip to main content

Reply to "Early Visits"

adbono posted:
TXdad2019 posted:
adbono posted:
TXdad2019 posted:
gunner34 posted:

some smaller Texas schools are offering,  a 2019 we know just verbally committed to a small school on the hill in Austin.  

Must be St. Edwards. Always wondered how much they offer because it's over $50k a year to attend school there. It's very nice though and good program.

It is nice and it is a good program. And its a good school and Austin is an awesome college town. But they also over-recruit and use athletics as a means to increase student population & revenue.  Take a look at the roster numbers.  Any school that has a JV baseball program is guilty of what I just said.  They also like to bring in proven Juco guys. It's a numbers game there so you better know what you are getting into. 

I am curious about schools with JV programs. One of the schools that invited my son on visit has a JV program. Curious on how that works. Do the programs with a JV put let's say Freshmen on it? Or I guess that would be questions the recruit would need to ask.

JV programs (for the most part) are primarily a vehicle that is used to recruit more players and generate more tuition revenue for the school.  That is my opinion based on what I have observed.

The odds of moving from JV to varsity are slim and none. Soph year when the JV player is trying to make varsity there’s a new batch of preferred recruits. The best shot is a pitcher who physically develops and throws harder after arriving. 

Some D3 coaches get bonuses for convincing players to attend their college regardless of whether they will ever see the  arsity field. It’s additional paying customers for the college.