Skip to main content

Reply to "earned or unearned run"

quote:
Originally posted by OK Heat:
…Regarding scorekeepers judging a runners wheels, It's either a pop fly out or a sac fly. We just mark down what happens. It's not our job to judge who is on base.

That’s your definition of what a scorer s supposed to do, but it may not be mine or JMoff’s, and that’s where there’s a lot of leeway in what happens. There’s absolutely nothing I can think of that precludes a scorer from considering who the runners are. I wouldn’t do it, but then again, there are a few other scorers runnin’ around beside me. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by OK Heat:
Let me put a wrinkle in this same situation in a different game. Runner on third with a ball hit to left. Runner tags up and breaks for home with the catch but stops his run to see what happens with the throw. Throw short hops catcher and bounces away where the pitcher was unable to back it up. Runner hustles home. I still scored this as a fly out and runner scoring on the error, he clearly was not committed to going home unless something happened like it did.

Here again, if things were exactly as described, I agree. But, its still a judgment call, and if the scorer for the other team judged it differently, it doesn’t make him wrong. After all, he may not have noticed the runner stop because he was looking at the play in the OF, or he may have heard the 3B coach screaming for him to go. But the whole thing is, as long as the scorer used his best judgment to get the play correct, there’s really nothing anyone can do.

That’s a perfect scenario for why there are 3 books for every HS game. There’s a home book, a visitors book, and the official book, and the numbers generated from each will very likely be different.