Skip to main content

Reply to "Eastern District standings, scores and highlights"

Here we go with pitch counts again... In this particular game, Singleton was laboring badly. He was showing OBVIOUS signs of fatigue, but he's all Granby's got. He did hit 90 on the gun multiple times.

For the record, I think arbitrary pitch counts are stupid. There are too many variables to suggest that a pitcher who throws over 100 pitches is being abused. There are MUCH more important things to be aware of than just a pitch count, such as pitches per inning, a pitcher's conditioning, and mechanics. There is no credible evidence that in the age of pitch counts/limits there are less arm injuries. In fact, there IS evidence to suggest that there are MORE significant injuries since they became en vogue. That being said, Singleton was BADLY fatigued after about the 4th inning and should have been removed. He walked 8 and hit 1 batter, I believe, and he was all over the place at times. Also for the record, I like the kid a ton. He is a class act, and he seems like the type to pitch all day if it was asked of him, and he NEVER shows any emotion.

Nolan Ryan threw 244 pitches in a game in 1971, and in the same game, Luis Tiant threw 189. How are they still ALIVE?