Skip to main content

Reply to "Eastern District standings, scores and highlights"

I understand that, birddog, and I agree that 151 pitches, in this case, is too many. I don't, however, agree with some arbitrary number, nor do I agree with posting a "number" on a public board to suggest that a coach has "abused" a player. Nolan Ryan made his major league debut at 19 years old. He NEVER threw with a pitch count, which is to say that no one cared too much about pitch counts in those days, at any level. We can probably assume that kids in those days threw a ton.

ONCE AGAIN, I believe 151 was too many, but I know you know what Singleton looks like. He is a MAN, not a child. I do not advocate abuse, but if anyone can handle 100+ (not 151) pitches it would probably be a "child" who is, I don't know, 6'4"/240 pounds. That being said, definitely err on the side of caution, but be careful about public posts claiming abuse. Any coach who would abuse a player doesn't care about any of our posts, and it's not worth slandering a coach who is innocent. Every sport deals with this issue, be it dropping weight in wrestling, gaining weight in football, or pitching too much in baseball. I just advocate responsibility on public boards, that's all.