Skip to main content

Reply to "Eastern District standings, scores and highlights"

Being the parent of a pitcher ain't easy. My son hasn't pitched for 4 years since was told to stop for one year due to growth plate separation in his elbow. But I still clearly recall the feeling of agony when he struggled on the mound and the joy when he was on. I also recall his orthopedic surgeon telling me that he sometimes was confronted by irate parents when he told them their young pitcher had to be shut down. The Dr. also told me he was getting very rich due to over-use of baseball pitchers.

No doubt pitch counts are an inexact safety valve but erring on the side of less rather than more pitches seems a no-brainer - especially for a high school player who is hoping to play in college. In the heat of battle, sometimes the judgment of a player or coach can be clouded. Before I read the article WB cited, I was about to say a parent should have no such divided loyalty, but the article shows that parents (who need to be the last line of defense for their kid's health) can also get caught up in winning and put safety on the back-burner. The article shows that the urge to win (at every level) can be recklessly strong.

As for the Maury - Granby game, Granby got on top early and played with fire. However, I think this game will end up being very good motivation for Maury. Getting punched in the gut usually is.