Skip to main content

Reply to "Eight D1 Baseball Schools"

I think the idea that you should blindly go to the most competitive school is just as bad as the idea that you should go to any D1.

I'd rather get spanked every game and be a daily starter than be competitive and have no role other than to cheerlead and carry equipment. Years when I sat the bench when I was one of the younger guys on the teams (6th grade on the middle school team, soph year on varsity) I was barely invested. The outcome mattered less to me. When I was starting and playing, even on bad teams, I never wanted it to end.

Schools like the ones listed catch a lot of slack on here about not being competitive. Maybe, but some would rather lose to Kansas St, Bryant, Seton Hall, Rhode Island, UConn like FDU than play at an average D2/D3 and win 30 games against schools you've never heard of. For some, playing the best competition is part of why they want to go D1, not necessarily because of the clout. Worrying about how much fun you're going to have with baseball is the equivalent of only choosing a school for the party scene. Sure you may have the best time ever, but it means nothing once you finish.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, but I'm sensing a lot of "D1=bad" around here. I really don't think it's the case and once I get past schools that may have an impact on advancing my baseball career, I'm putting factors like education, affordability, and geography before I'm considering the winning percentage of the program. I have a 2022 who wants to play D1 baseball. If he doesn't get the offers he wants, he will try to walk on somewhere. It's a personal preference.