Skip to main content

Reply to "Eight D1 Baseball Schools"

@Francis7 posted:

At a younger level, sitting the bench is terrible and it will drive a kid out of the game - even at the HS level for some.

At the college level? I would think that the kid who only had 40 PA would enjoy wearing that championship ring as much as the kid who started 40 games...

40 plate appearances is a 10/11 man. That's a guy who gets some starts, hits against lefties, pinch hits, defensive sub, etc. There is a big difference between getting time and being a contributor than there is getting 6 ABs and adding nothing other than some laughs.

I'm not saying you can't have fun and enjoy your time but being present is not the same as being involved.

Really at that level, isn't it about team first? As a player, your responsibility is to be so good that it forces them to play you, or, be so good that it forces the other players at your position to be even better than you in order to start over you. Either way, it benefits the team.

Maybe it is and I'm just selfish. But there is going to be a kid competing with your son for time. Are you going to root for that kid every time he comes up to the plate or are you going to secretly wish he doesn't take advantage of his opportunities?

Maybe people don't think this way and that is why the transfer portal is full?  It's really not helping anyone. I would assume coaches prefer players who are team first and "me" second.

Who is it not helping? At the end of the day you have to look out for yourself. Coaches can talk about team players and loyalty all they want, but the truth of the matter is that if a kid is cool with sitting the bench and handing out high fives for four years it just shows he probably never had the attitude necessary to play at the next level.

There is a difference between waiting your turn and waiting in the back of the line while people cut you.