Skip to main content

Reply to "Elbow Issues Advice"

Hello Young_Baller,

I’m not sure of your specific age.  In middle school my son had a growth-plate issue in his elbow.  My basic understanding is that while the body is growing, growth-plates are the weakest point in the chain.   There are definitely better explanations out there, but the growth-plate literally allows the body to grow; it allows your bones to get longer while still enabling functioning joints.  As the body matures – finishes growing – the growth plate hardens and the ligament attachment becomes fixed.  From that point forward, the ligament is the weakest point in the chain.  For my son, the diagnosis was made by a Dr.  I have also heard same thing as mentioned earlier:  The elbow is a tricky piece of machinery and even experienced Dr.’s have trouble with specific diagnosis.  In the end, resting the arm solved the issue for my son.  Prior to getting back on the field he went through Physical Therapy and a breakdown of his throwing mechanics.  The body is an incredible machine and it’s built to heal itself, but it must rest and it needs time.  My son was out of baseball for about 8 months, missing all of his 7th grade spring, summer and 8th grade fall-ball seasons.  I can tell you he just made his High School baseball team, he did not fall behind his peers and he now throws without any discomfort. 

I’d be happy to pass along more details you want.  Please stop throwing until you have an understanding of what’s going on from a Dr.  Don’t even throw paper in the trash, no throwing motion.  Any ‘punishment’ meted out by the Coach for you taking care of your body should be internalized as fuel to succeed in the future.  You won’t be any good to your team or to yourself if you’re functioning less than 100%.