Skip to main content

Reply to "Elbow pain"

Coach Chris,
Sorry but in the last few days you have been on a pitching philososphy frenzy with links.

I have read your bio. I am not a pitching coach, and I do beleive strongly (just like everyone else) that proper mechanics is important to staying injury free. That is not NEW news. That is a subject that has been discussed here frequently on the HSBBW and in baseball circles. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that Greg Maddux remained injury free due to his sound pitching mechanics, loose arm and natural throwing ability. It also doesn't take a genius to know that remaining injury free is very difficult in general because most really good young pitchers are not protected by parents and coaches from too much pitching. And their flaws are not corrected early. Pitching year round doesn't help the cause either. BTW, if you read Boyd Nations report of pitcher abuse points you will find that Mark Prior most probably threw too many before he reached pro ball. I can't debate whether his mechanics were a cause of injury, but I could debate his overuse as a young pitcher.
You are entitled to your opinions and your theory.
However, diagnosing why a pitcher has elbow pain on a website and making suggestions without ever seeing the pitcher throw is a no no as far as I am concerned.