Skip to main content

Reply to "Elbow pain"

quote:
There are not to many pitchers that do not naturally pronate upon release.

Precisely. Since this is the case, then pronating at the release point must not be sufficient to protect the elbow. In order to protect the elbow, you must pronate much sooner; while the elbow is rapidly extending.

The reason this works is because the Pronator Teres muscle also arises from the Medial Epicondyle and passes over UCL. This enables the Pronator Teres to assist the UCL is protecting the integrity of the elbow joint.

quote:
Chris would love to have you believe its his idea...

No I wouldn't.

I have said from the outset that Dr. Marshall was the person who helped me understand this. The only reason I started using the term "Early Pronation" was to clarify a misconception that has developed due to Tom House and Will Carroll's incomplete description of the role of pronation. They talk about the importance of pronation at the release point, which is too late to protect the elbow.

quote:
The only key that early pronation is good for is lowering the elbow, dragging the arm, lack of external rotation as well as loss of potential power.

There is no reason why this would be the case. Pronating early doesn't force you to drop the elbow. Pronating early certainly doesn't force you to drag the arm; the traditional pitching motion does that. As I have said before, pronating early will actually tend to put the hand ahead of the elbow. Finally, pronating early enables you to take better advantage of the power of external and internal rotation because it puts the hand father away from the axis of rotation.
Last edited by Coach Chris