Skip to main content

Reply to "Elephant in the room"

What do the young and (almost) invincible owe to others?  Seems to me there is some ideal point (somewhere...) between living one's life as if your choices have no consequences for others and staying in your parents' basement for up to 2 years+.  Students on campus will interact with staff and faculty who are older.  Students will leave campus at times (if nothing else, to go home to parents who are presumably at least middle-aged).  These actions will affect others.  I don't know what the right balance is...

do believe very strongly that the lengthy plans schools are issuing are mostly wishful thinking.  (Actually, I'd use a word less polite than "wishful thinking," but let's go with that term.)  I teach at a state U and am very familiar with my school's plans and those of a few other schools.  Most faculty I know at whatever institution--people who deal with college kids regularly--think that once students get to campus, they will do essentially whatever they want.  But the recent experience of FL, TX, and other states suggests this is also going to be true if those same kids stay home.  

I also think that colleges will almost inevitably see some kids (and maybe employees) hospitalized, a few schools will see some deaths.  Parents (and possibly students) probably won't react well to that, and a lot of finger-pointing and second-guessing will ensue. Some universities will have to seriously consider sending students home again.  (Should they?  I have almost given up having an opinion...)