Skip to main content

Reply to "Elephant in the room"

@roothog66 posted:

Look, my wife's a teacher and she actually wants to go back because she finds teaching online far more difficult. However, there has to be a balance between the fact that children learn better in person and the significant health risks involved in shoving kids into what were already in many instances crowded class rooms. I see one major school district in California that will split the classes up between online and in-person so that they can have classrooms with a minimal number of students socially distanced and wearing masks. However, I'll mention the problem again - what do you do when someone in the class inevitably tests positive?

I have no idea what classes are like in CA, but in FL, they aren't overcrowded, desks are 6 feet apart facing the same direction (which my wife hates because she likes the desks facing each other). Our school district will be more safe than what these kids are doing right now with the various camps and other activities they are doing with no safety measures. 

I don't know that kids will test positive. They are going to have a temperature check before they enter school. If they have a fever they are going home. If the parents then have them tested I'm guessing they will be home for two weeks. However, if they are sending their kid to school with a fever in this situation I doubt they will have the initiative to have them tested. 

Our district has a plan for teachers testing positive, you can come back when you test negative. That can be a couple days, that can be 2 weeks. Now, if they have 25% of their staff test positive, I'm not sure what the plan is.