Skip to main content

Reply to "Elephant in the room"

We have a democracy, so we picked our leaders.  Leaders do what they believe is right, or they act while watching polls.  I'm not sure which I admire; in the former case you can say that a majority voted for the person and thus for his fundamental principles, even in an unprecedented situation; in the latter case, you can say that the leader is responsive to what his consitutents are feeling.  In the case of some politicians at this moment, they seem to be doing neither.  That is not leadership, in my opinion.

Sometimes a leader can abuse their power, though, which is why we have checks and balances on it.  For instance, Trump's threat to cut school funding if schools don't open is just an empty threat, since it wouldn't pass legal muster.  Some think that abuse of power is what is happening during Covid.  Some see situations in which they aren't allowed to go to church, while people are allowed to protest, for instance.  Obviously, in an emergency, the government should get some additional power, but that power can and has been abused by people in the past.  Also, the whole current situation plain sucks, and people are pissed off in general.