Skip to main content

Reply to "Elephant in the room"

There are people without the education to help their children with home schooling or virtual schooling.  That is, in fact, why we have schools and teachers.  The point is, it's a mess for everyone.  EVERYONE.  Sure, those of you who sneer at people who are "scared" of getting sick - if your child's math teacher is one of the "scared" ones, then what do you do?  Not have math for a year?   We are all linked in so many ways, you cannot just say, "if you don't want to get sick, stay home."  If we had responsible leaders who would say, "yes, it's a mess for everyone," instead of "get those kids [and teachers] back into schools," that would help.  At least we'd feel that we are all in this together, instead of on opposite sides of what is, in fact, the same disaster.  Maybe we wouldn't have 25 pages of arguing about mask science on a baseball discussion board.

I personally don’t sneer at anyone for preferring to not send their kid into a school. I don’t want those people trying to keep schools closed. You are right, the situation is awful, but I think the public schools are doing the best they can. Trying to please several different groups of people is not going to be possible. They are trying to revamp a system in 4 months that has been broken for decades. People need to accept it for what it is and try to make improvements as we move along. 

Around here (very good district with what I believe is a great plan) there are a bunch of people we know trying to get their kids into private schools for this school year. It’s kinda funny how many have suddenly found their faith to try getting their kids into a particular Christian academy.