Skip to main content

Reply to "Elephant in the room"

There are people without the education to help their children with home schooling or virtual schooling.  That is, in fact, why we have schools and teachers.  The point is, it's a mess for everyone.  EVERYONE.  Sure, those of you who sneer at people who are "scared" of getting sick - if your child's math teacher is one of the "scared" ones, then what do you do?  Not have math for a year?   We are all linked in so many ways, you cannot just say, "if you don't want to get sick, stay home."  If we had responsible leaders who would say, "yes, it's a mess for everyone," instead of "get those kids [and teachers] back into schools," that would help.  At least we'd feel that we are all in this together, instead of on opposite sides of what is, in fact, the same disaster.  Maybe we wouldn't have 25 pages of arguing about mask science on a baseball discussion board.

We do have a cohesive plan, part of it is getting kids back to school and EVERYONE should get on board with it because we are all in this together.  You want to talk about scared teachers, ok then put it in perspective.

Do you know what an NAT work-up is,  I know the teachers on here do.  Let me tell you what isn't happening with kids out of schools:  NAT workups which stand for non-accidental trauma workups. 

That means abuse is going on without the major checkpoint - teachers and schools.  Most NAT workups begin with elementary teachers reporting suspicion.  When you don't get those workups, you get non-accidental traumas to kids, and that is what my colleagues and  I have been seeing without schools, a drastic increase in non-accidental traumas.

My oldest daughter is a very pregnant, elementary school teacher. Of course she has concerns about Covid-19, just like everyone else. In her relatively short career, only one NAT report has ever been necessary.  But she knows that her Covid concerns, are irrelevant with societal consequences of not educating a generation and not identifying child abuse.  She has more fear of that. 

Can you imagine the fear in that child, not of Covid, but of the next time they get hit or thrown.  We are all part of the same disaster, but some are bent on making it a little more disastrous.