Skip to main content

Reply to "Elephant in the room"

@JCG posted:

Question for our Conservative brethren:

A guy on a lefty podcast yesterday (Pod Save America) said something to the effect of this:  If you did a Venn diagram where one circle was people who believe that masks should not be worn and the pandemic is just a means to take down DJT, and a second circle was people who believe that Global Climate Change is a hoax, the circles would intersect almost perfectly.

True?

I don't know how old you are, but I grew up in the 1970s and 80s.  Back then, had a grasp of left vs right politics.  It didn't make sense, but I knew each sides basic platform.  On the right, the platform was based on less government intrusion, lower taxes and the rights of the individual.  On the left, it was always protection for workers (unions, including police unions were staunch supporters), buying American made products, and defenders of free speech.  The division never made sense, but I knew what they each stood for.

Now those things that used to be the major liberal tenets no longer seem to be part of their platform, and have actualIy been adopted by the right.  Protection for police and workers, free speech, returning to "built in America and buy American".  So I really don't know what liberal ideology is anymore, but I know it is not the democratic party that I grew up with.   I know it is not about bringing jobs back to America, it isn't about individual freedoms as outlined in the Bill of Rights (always attacking the 2nd, but now 1st amendment too),  it isn't support for government/union workers (defund the police), and we know it isn't anything from the right's platform.  Is it just rooting for the blue team over the red team?  What is is that makes you a "lefty"?  Your word not mine.