Skip to main content

Reply to "Email campaigns and recruiting"

Root,

I am in agreement with Bransonbb on the emails and backstops excellent post.  And PG as well. I also understand its hard due to your geographic location. I am a firm believer that most players are found on the field by coaches. And as PG points out a lot has to do with the division. In our situation, my sons summer program new every coach in FL and the southeast, along with the northern IVY programs. It cost a lot of money even back then but we could not have completed the process without them.  I suggest that everyone take the time to find a summer program that truly cares in helping your son secure a scholarship.

Dont forget they can't call him yet, all of that will change september 1.

I think you are learning along with others that the process isnt an easy one. I also think you were hung up on this early committ thing and I dont think most programs, even the ones from the power conferences have their 2018 filled in, except for the top studs in that class.

I dont think that anyone realizes just how much work is involved for D1 coaches who consist of 3 paid only and one volunteer who is not allowed to recruit.  Some schools have guys called director of player development, they handle a lot of this email stuff but they cannot coach or recruit. I dont see how coaches have time to read any emails. I do think they rely more on scouting reports from companies like PG and go watch them play. And this all depends on their needs and some coaches may not have fully developed their needs for 2018 and again you will know after 9/1 if all of the hard work has paid off.

Always remember that camps are for one purpose only. The HC has to raise 35, 40k for his volunteer coach who is not a paid employee.  If a prior relationship exists between the recruit and a coach, the invitation to the camp will be to discuss business or the coach will ask the recruit specifically to join 3 or 4 others for an unofficially visit. Just as an FYI many of these camps have been watching local talent for a long time, so yes kids get recruited from their camps.

The most important contact is the recruiting coach. He gets paid the big bucks to first identify the player for the other coaches. HC do attend big events because they need 3 guys to go watch everyone. Some HC dont recruit on the road. 

FWIW, if you have the funds or willing to pay full tuition anyones player just became more attractive. 

But realistically, no matter how much the player pines for a program, the program who gives your player the most attention will become #1 for him. Thats usually how it works. Thats howbthe recruiting affair begins.

I agree its early, thats why I stand by what I have always said, for pitchers especially, take the first few summers in HS a bit easy to play and get better, do a showcase thats meaningful, because the big push for most comes between junior summer and senior summer.

I dont know what programs your son is intetested in.  Maybe he needs to reevaluate and try another direction but i think this fall, this winter and spring will be determine a better fit. 

I think from your post you are learning a lot about THE recruiting process. And for anyone who gives advice before it begins, I believe you will NOT get it until you actually live it. 

Last edited by TPM