Skip to main content

Reply to "Enough doom and gloom. Brag on your kid."

adbono posted:

Not gonna brag about my son, but I have a great story about his team and about a teammate. His D2 JuCo in Oklahoma was stacked last year and expectations were high. They were ranked as high as 3rd nationally before all the injuries hit. They lost 2 of their top 3 pitchers with season ending arm injuries and limped to a 3rd place conference finish, but qualified for a Regional. Fell into losers bracket in Regional but got hot and started winning. Somehow beat Western Oklahoma who was the most talented JuCo team I saw in 2019 at any level (entire IF was drafted). Made it to the finals but had to win twice. In first elimination game they were down 11-3 at one point but fought back. Going into the bottom of the 9th they were still down 11-8. By the time they managed to load the bases there were 2 outs. Coming to the plate was a seldom used kid that had entered the game in late innings as a pinch runner. He only had 5 hits all year and none for extra bases. On a 2-1 count he hit one over the LF wall for a walk off grand slam. Only the second HR of his life including Little League. The scene of the team waiting for him to cross home plate, to celebrate the most unlikely of heroes, shows the pure joy of playing team sports and is one of my favorite sports photos ever ( see attachment).  Team went on to win Regional and the did the unthinkable and won a National Championship a couple weeks later. Kid that hit the walk off slam got a scholarship to an NAIA school in Kansas on the basis on that one hit. You could replay that situation a thousand times and it wouldn’t work out that way again. But it did once and that’s all that matters. 

Love the umpire: great look on his face, showing respect.