Skip to main content

Reply to "Enough doom and gloom. Brag on your kid."

@JucoDad posted:

That's awesome!

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I would caution you about worrying about long toss distance.

I was born with the genetic ability to throw very hard - how hard? We'll never know, I didn't grow up in an environment where sports were an option, but hard enough that people use to watch me throw rocks - lol! Let's just say anomaly hard. I blew out my shoulder throwing high angle, high velocity - whatever tendons decelerate the arm are what had the issue - if you can't slow it down, your body won't let it go fast.

I've aways cautioned my son about this - maybe it's a genetic trait or weakness?  I can't think of any reason why distance in long toss should be a thing. I would suggest a trajectory no higher than the longest throw to a cutoff man.

Also high spin rates will reduce the amount of throw carry (high spin rate pitchers will not throw long toss as far as lower spin rate pitchers). I've had a discussion about this on the board before, but science backs me up on this. That and I'd always wondered why kids with lower velocity could get better carry in long toss - my son's spin rate is in the 97th percentile, so there's some objective evidence too.

Lastly a 2027 approaching mid 90's in long toss is amazing - I wouldn't push too hard, he's got plenty of time...

Excellent post from a guy whose son is a hard throwing MLB pitcher. And he is spot on. Long toss is an excellent way to build arm strength. I’m a big believer in it. But it’s important to maintain the same throwing motion that is used on the mound - which can usually be maintained at a max distance of 120’. When you get beyond that distance players often drop their elbow in order to carry the ball farther in the air. This results in rehearsing something different than throwing on the mound. And, among other things, that defeats the purpose.