Skip to main content

Reply to "Enough doom and gloom. Brag on your kid."

@Dadof3 posted:

So hs just started with winter practice.  It’s about 1.5 weeks in.  They pulled out the rapsido and had a fun contest.  He was one of the few that hit over 90 (91).    Still a long way to go, but he was excited when he got in the car.

Hitting 90 is a milestone and is something to feel good about. Training to throw hard and throw better is a good thing - no matter what position you play. But if you are a pitcher you need to do more than throw hard. That is the disconnect that exists between reality and today’s throwing instructors and their pupils. All focus is on velocity and zero attention is being paid to command. You can and should train both. Every throw should be at a target. Pull downs executed from a full sprint, thrown blindly into a net w/ no body control, are meaningless nonsense. No pitcher is successful unless they can get outs. And to get outs you have to throw strikes. That is the definition of pitching. Personally, I have a problem with throwing coaches (and throwing labs) calling themselves pitching coaches. I differentiate between throwing and pitching and a lot of people that think like I do wish that others would do the same.