Skip to main content

Reply to "Eric cressey article on pitcher overuse"

One of our mission statements is to promote the game of baseball at every level.

A question...

Is baseball the only sport where leaders promote multi-sport participation?

Do the leaders in the NFL and NBA promote multi-sport participation?

In most cases at the HS level Football and Basketball are more glamorous sports, drawing the largest crowds.  A good athlete will do well at most sports.  But the truth is, reaching the highest level of any sport requires certain things.  Basketball players at the highest level are amazing to me. I can't see any reason why playing baseball would make them better Basketball players.  I can see a reason why playing more baseball would make them a better baseball player.

If it were possible I would tell every kid that is a decent athlete that he should play baseball.  Heck, even those that are not good athletes, I would tell them to play baseball. If that happened baseball once again would be our national past time.  

That said, I like multi sport athletes.  But only if baseball is one of those sports.  At the same time, I have no problem with those who want to specialize in any one sport, including baseball.  Besides you don't have to play in any organized sport in order to do something different.  I mean how many kids out there haven't shot a basketball or caught a football?