Skip to main content

Reply to "Eric cressey article on pitcher overuse"

old_school posted:
TPM posted:

JMO, but I believe that there are more MLB DR players because they come here at 18 and receive ML instruction from that point going forward. US HS players tend to go to college first.  Realistically,   unless a HS player got a significant bonus, the pay at the entry level is unacceptable for most everyone.  It takes 4-5 years to develop a ML player,  most players who are drafted out of college are not MLB ready while the the Dominican player has already been protected is approaching free agency.  

I don't agree with either of the bolded points. The best of the US develop no different then the best of the Dominicans, I don't buy for a minute the ML coaching and academies do a better job teaching then the our colleges. They operate under different rules, time restrains from training limitations and mandatory classroom time. if you want to tell me the Latin academy model the MLB teams have down there is superior due to the fact it is solely a baseball factory fair enough but not because of the quality of coaching. IMO

The Dominican's who are 20ish protected and approaching FA are no different then Trout, Harper etc and none of those are the norm.  

The biggest difference in IMO is the lack of any other viable option for a better life...our kids here are taught to go to school, be well rounded, play other sports, prepare for life after baseball. on the islands they are trained for this is the only chance you have to live a better life and you your whole world depends on it...I see an obvious difference there.

Old School - I understand your point, but I might put a slightly different spin on it.  I applaud your defense of the quality of college coaching, I have a pitcher in college right now so I hope you are correct.  I don't think its a matter of quality so much as it is a matter of motivation.  Pro coaches at low level professional ball are about development.  College coaches are about winning right now and keeping their jobs.  The motivation to overuse a pitcher in a short college season is pretty real, while a minor league coach is under no such constraint.  I wouldn't (or perhaps more accurately couldn't) argue that quality of teaching is different, I just think that the coaches on each side have different motivations and goals.