Skip to main content

Reply to "Eric cressey article on pitcher overuse"

Then there is the results, both good and bad.  I could put together a list of thousands who would say a certain camp or event in the winter was what started the recruiting interest or scouting interest.

Now we don't see many kids that look like they are not ready to perform.  Not ready would be those that are not working at their game.  Also those pitchers who haven't taken time off.  

We see a lot of former Major Leaguers that bring their sons to these off season events.  This year that included Mike Matheny and Roy Holloday's sons.  Wouldn't you think they would know better?  Or maybe they know something about this stuff.

Just the other day I was watching some of our pro players competing in Australia on the MLB Network.  

Also, we see very few Pre high school kids at these off season events.  And we certainly aren't talking pitchers or players that are taking time off into participating.  We only hold two showcase events in the winter.  However, I know there are many others and a lot of college camps. Most of he kids we see seem to really enjoy it.  I like watching kids have fun.  Everyone is aware of arm abuse.  We even finish up with coach pitch games on the last day.  These events have a very long history, one being the very first showcase PG ever held.  So there is a history, we know what has happened to every player.  In no way is it a TJ victim list.  Those that did have TJ like Taillion would be the first to say they injured their arm in other ways.  

Not sure if this is off topic or not.  My point is there is not one way to be successful.  You don't have to be a mult-sport athlete to be successful at baseball.  I don't know a single coach that won't recruit a baseball only player if that player is extremely talented.  There is no MLB organization that won't draft a baseball only kid.  I get tired of reading that stuff, it is misleading.  It doesn't matter if they like multi-sport players, they all want the best baseball players.  I like multi-sport kids myself, but when we rank players it is only based on baseball.  Maybe in the case of two players being equal we might give an edge to the multi-sport kid.  But the very best prospect in every draft is just as likely to be a multi-sport or a baseball only. Only advantage is in leverage if the draft pick is a scholarship DI football or basketball player. There are a few of those type.