Skip to main content

Reply to "Error or Out required to score a FC for a batter?"

bbmom12,

If a play could have been made on the batter-runner to put him out but a fielder chose not to, by definition it’s a FC.

OBR Rule 2.00 FIELDER’S CHOICE is the act of a fielder who handles a fair grounder and, instead of throwing to first base to put out the batter-runner, throws to another base in an attempt to put out a preceding runner. …

That means the batter-runner reaches 1st on a FC. That takes care of one of the runners. Now you have to account for the runner on 3rd.

If the play took place as you described, i.e. there was a collision, why would an error be scored on anyone?

OBR Rule 10.12(d) The official scorer shall not charge an error against:

(2) any fielder who makes a wild throw if in the scorer’s judgment the runner would not have been put out with ordinary effort by a good throw, unless such wild throw permits any runner to advance beyond the base he would have reached had the throw not been wild;

From your description of the play regardless of the throw, what the 2nd baseman did in order to make the play was far from “ordinary effort”. Regardless of how good or rotten the throw was, it sure sounds as though the ball got to the catcher in time but was lost it in the collision so how can the fault of not getting the runner be on the throw?

OBR Rule 2.00 A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession. It is not a catch, however, if simultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player, or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball.

IOW, you are correct when you say I think you can give the batter a FC and yet still record no error. Sounds to me like the batter reaches on a FC and is credited with an RBI if there were fewer than 2 outs and the runner scores on ground ball.