Skip to main content

Reply to "Error or Out required to score a FC for a batter?"

Stats4Gnats posted:

PWPW posted:

The rule says "a runner would have other wise been put out on such a throw". Wouldn't the runner have been put out on the tag and not the throw? He caught the ball and turned to tag, it would seem the catcher dropped the ball on the tag. The one hop throw did not affect the catcher dropping the ball on the tag. So wether the throw was a perfect throw or a one hop in the dirt, the throw and the tag are two separate parts in the play.  Once again, I've been wrong once before so...

The catcher didn’t make a “misplay”. The tag wasn’t made because of the collision and no scorer I’ve ever come across would change an error because of it. Think about an OFr chasing a fly ball who gets the ball in his glove and slams into the wall and drops the ball before the requirements for a catch are met. He wouldn’t be dinged for an error either.

But couldn't maybe the catcher have held on to the ball if the 2B threw a clean throw instead of a one hopper? Maybe the catcher could have avoided the collision if he wasn't busy picking the bounced throw.

i have never scored though so I'm not sure this is an option.