Skip to main content

Reply to "error on infield fly call?"

quote:
Originally posted by dash_riprock:
Sounds like the IFR should have been called, but it is still a judgment call - HTBT. Umpires can consider other factors, e.g., wind, skill level of the player(s), in making that judgment.

Just Me - Your comment about the umps "egos" is gratuitous. If they determined that the IFR should have been called, it would have been a very easy fix - just take the batter off 1st and leave the other runners where they are. If they determined that F2 needed more than "ordinary effort" to make the catch, then the call was correct.

Sorry if the ego comment was annoying. Dont think it was gratuitous however as I cant see why else they wouldnt have made the correct ruling.

(edit: actually, in retrospect I guess it was gratuitous. I am assuming correct knowledge of the rule and application on the umps part and I guess this aint necessarily so and thus just a failure to know the correct ruling rather than the ego thing. My bad.)

There is no doubt that the catcher should have caught the ball. His problem was that he failed to turn back to the infield while awaiting its downward fall so the backspin took it out away from him rather than back over him.
Thats really why I asked the question I guess, to see whether the high pop to the catcher was viewed/treated differently from say a high pop to f1 or f3 by the umpiring community. It seems from the majority response that you dont hold the catcher to a different standard of "reasonable effort"??
Last edited by Just Me