Skip to main content

Reply to "Ethics in High School Coaching"

2017LHPscrewball posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Yelling balk, no that's wrong.  Taking a time out...that's a tactic that is legal.  There are a lot of things in baseball that are technically legal but morally questionable. 14u game, down by 2 with 2 outs...my son was told to get up to the plate and strike out as fast as possible because there were only 3 minutes left in playing time and we needed to start a new inning. Tactic that is legal, but morally questionable.

If I'm coaching the team that is leading, then I'm going to be very careful about how I pitch to your son.  Probably don't want my pitcher throwing too much over the plate - and probably have to go out and give him a good 90 second pep talk.  If he gets two strikes against your son, I might have to bring in my closer.  Can't afford you son executing a quick KO by swing at pitches 3 feet outside.  Who knows, I might intentionally walk the kid and throw over to first a few times to keep him close (even though he's probably standing on the bag).

I've been in the stands a few times when we were leading and our coach does the mound visit to kill some time.  I usually try to sneak away quietly to avoid any immediate embarrassment.

Pitcher pitched VERY high balls, son swung the bat like he was out for a Sunday picnic.  He didn't want to swing at three straight bad pitches but he did....one I think he swung after the catcher already had the ball.  It was rather pathetic to watch, but he did the job the coach assigned.