Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating GPA, high school reputation"

Good advice from the other posters. When you list it as 4.2 the coaches in the area (SC) will know what it means. If they need more detailed info they will let you know. In SC the first thing they will be trying to figure out is how much lottery money he will qualify for. They will therefore want to know class rank and SAT score.

You are definitely right about grades and SAT's opening doors. I've seen many kids in this area blow opportunities because of grades and SAT scores. Just recentlly there were two area kids that "decommitted" from the schools that they had originally signed NLI's with because of inadequate SAT scores.

Have him take the SAT early, and several times. You might even consider one of the prep courses, but that depends on the kid. Some do just as well studying a prep book as they do sitting through a course.

Sounds like you've already figured out the proper approach. Shoot for as much academic money as possible first. Whatever athletic money you get is just gravy.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about SC schools. I've been through it all fairly recently and would be happy to share anything I've learned.

quote:
Originally posted by scdigger:
Hoping I can ride the shirttail of this thread and ask a similar question in terms of how to list gpa or should I even include a qualifier...my son, has been taking all high school honors classes available to him since 8th grade...the school's gpa system is a 4.0 system, but A's in an honor class actually give you (I think) a 5 in the system, B's a 4 and so on...so, his actual current GPA as a sophmore is 4.2 (in a 4.0 system)...do I list it as 4.2 - honors student or do I say anything about the honors classes and colleges, etc. will understand? Just curious. May not even matter...I'm very proud of him...have always told him that your baseball skills are good, but the academics will open MANY more doors for him (even in baseball).