Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating pitchers"

Kingsman posted:

My grandson has not pitched in a while but wants to find out what he still has thinking about using it to get to college.  When he thinks he is back up  to par he plans to get some of the better high school hitters together to test himself against them,  Some of the baseballs he uses to practice are 4 or  5 years old. It ocurred to me these might not have as much life in them as new balls to make it look like they are not hitting the ball as hard against him as they may be. We want the truth. Does anyone know how fast and how much baseballs deteriorate if they are being stored indoors?  Kingsman

So, the life of a 5 year old baseball is probably not on the list of important things to consider if your grandson is wanting to be recruited to play college baseball.  If you want the truth, I'd like to suggest your son get some new game quality baseballs to run his test, analysis and conclusion on his ability to get some of the better high school hitters out.  College showcases, camps, etc are going to be using new game quality baseballs when evaluating pitching/hitting/fielding talent not 5-year old baseballs.  Good luck!