Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating pitchers"

Kingsman a very quick way to get somewhat of an idea of what you are saying is accurate is to try and get your grandson hooked up with a team playing in this summers  PG WWBA tournament in ATL ( I guess its still there this summer?).  Teams are always looking for pitchers for this tournament.   There is a decent chance he will see some good competition.  One area I do disagree with is "One has been working all his youth to be good,….the other just picks up the glove and goes out there and gets people out.  Pitchers are born not made. Guidance is important but a coach can’t create with lessons what isn’t there."   NO pitcher, zero, zilch, just picks up a glove and goes out there and is successful.  Thats like saying the horse who won the Belmont Saturday (which speaking of genetics was 100% bred to run races) could have won even if it had not trained, been in similiar situations with crowds, other horses, etc... The same could be said for a successful pitcher.   Every single pitcher that you will see in the CWS has spent years working on his skill level, arm strength, mechanics,  etc...     My son is a very athletic RHP, but I promise you without a tremendous amount of work and training for years  could NOT go out and pole vault successfully.