Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating pitchers"

His parents had hired a company to act as agents to get him into college. We haven’t told them about pitching because he has not gotten into the mind to find out yet if he still has anything.  Several SEC schools and Conference USA schools have graduate schools in architecture and with full athletic programs.

As to why he never played high school ball. He did try out a couple of times in Junior high but apart from pitching he was only average in other aspects of the game…good but nothing special, and they never tried anybody out as pitchers. I guess they thought they could just take hard throwers and make them pitchers. And he had some conflict issues with some of the other players when they were all allstars in little league that carried over. Of course as you all know high school football and baseball has a lot of ‘politics’ involved as to who gets to play and his family were not the ‘right’ people. But I have gotten him to pitch to me over the years. His very good control has always come back. He is really tall and lanky and just naturally throws hard now.

It has gotten too dangerous for me to try to catch him anymore the speed it is and the way the ball moves. I just get behind the backstop net and hold the mitt in place now.

I would agree with Pitching Fan on his vaulting but he has another track season to go get the all time state record for all classes his Sr year. He is getting some coaching from a former Olympic vaulter. But it is plain he is not going to get his education just on his pole vaulting. And Juco is a good idea. That may be what he can afford to start out. As to speed, I said once before I don’ t think he will ever make it as a fastball pitcher. He was never the fastest in little league, only the best at getting playable balls. So his speed would not impress you and as I also said no coach can tell how good he really might be until he starts making his best hitters look bad. Pitching greatness is an intangible. We discussed that before.