Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating pitchers"

I truly thank everyone for their informative posts. I have made a note of it all we need to pursue and in the right directions but I had a good talk with him yesterday and he is just not of a mind to want to find out about his ability as a pitcher yet. He is a 17 year old kid who only had his first job recently to pay his car insurance  and travel costs and doesn't have a conception of what things cost and the value of an education he may have to work years to pay for after he gets it .....things we all learned the hard way as adults long ago. Common sense and logic doesn't apply and the smart thing to do don't apply to someone like him where he is right now.

His parents certainly understand all this and they have more  influence on him than I do and they will be the ones trying to fit the bill for some of this , so they certainly understand the need for him to use as much as he has got that can  help him get better scholarships and to better schools if has it to use. But I suspect it will be mid senior year before financial realities in where he might get to go to college begins to set in and he will be sufficiently motivated to find out what he really does have as a baseball pitcher....if anything.

The option of getting a fully paid education to play both sports at a quality prestigious school  he probably couldn’t get into otherwise, up against  still owing more than half the cost when he finishes even at a lesser school puts the question in a different light if he is really offered that choice finally. And he never will be until he finds out himself through some of the venues suggested here that he does have something to offer. For this knowledge I truly say thanks, Kingsman