Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating private hitting coaches and methods"

Cabbagedad has mentioned a lot of valuable points.  I will give a little different perspective than what 2022 and Buckeye has mentioned above.  My son started WEEKLY hitting lessons from about 9 years old until he left for college at 18.  It started out as a means to keep him from being underproductive compared to others on his travel team.  During his 3 years in D1 in the offseason or before summer league began he still worked out with the same hitting instructor.  He is currently in the minors (fingers crossed for a 2019 call-up) and when he comes to visit us he spends a few lessons with the instructor.  Yes we've spent much money on these lessons.  It's easy to change your swing/approach slightly which can produce decreased results.  Weekly lessons kept him focused on the proper mechanics and plan.  I've mentioned previously in other posts but I firmly believe that the athlete must become a student of the game.  To understand it better than anyone else at that level, to have a plan each time you step to the plate.  When my son was sore from a previous game or workout, some lessons were spent being a student, without a single ball being hit.  I've said a few times (son probably disagrees) that he is a good athlete, not a great one.  What makes him more successful  than others (regarding hitting) is his athletic abilities PLUS his understanding of the game.  They go hand in hand, and if both can be applied at the correct situation good results will be seen.  Try to find an instructor who does both.  For what it's worth, throughout college and the minors (so far), not one hitting coach has attempted to change or adjust his swing.  Situational suggestions are always given (since being a student of the game there is always a need to learn more).  Unofficial word is that GM told his coaches to let him do what he's been doing and not to change mechanics.  He is fortunate to be where he is at, through hard work, proper instructions, and talent.  In the end, if financially you can afford it and your son buys into the program, this is just an example of how extended hitting lessons can bring desirable results.  Good luck and enjoy these times.