Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating private hitting coaches and methods"

Multisportdad posted:
2) Is there a newer method- whether technology based or not,  that seems to be giving better results than a traditional method.

When I started out with the first of my many kids, I paid for lessons from pros, and HOF players, and others.  Here is what I learned.

Most instructors use cues like 'hands to the ball', 'swing down', 'line up your door knocking knuckles', etc.  No MLB hitter swings like this in a game - even though most think they do, and will instruct others like this.  If you run across one of those, run.

If they are using mostly words that you don't understand, then they have no idea what they are talking about.  Also, if you don't know, then how would your kid ever know.

If they are not measuring your kid's results, then run.  Your kid should be gearing toward higher bat speed, exit speed, and a target launch angle range.  Are they using a device to measure this? If not, run.  (Of course, you can use total distance as a measuring tool/device as well)

If they just talk about your feelings or just tell you stories about how great they were, run.

Last edited by SultanofSwat