Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating private hitting coaches and methods"

Multisportdad posted:

Not ever having been a baseball guy,  I need a little guidance.

I have a 2024 who has been taking batting lessons from the same coach for a couple years.  Coach is a great guy who connects with my son.  My son is a very solid hitter who takes lessons vary seriously. 

The coaches has the pedigree and is well respected.  His dad had a cup of coffee in the MLB.   I don't think Coach follows the new trends, or does a lot of research into new methods; but teaches what he knows (which seems considerable).    This is in contrast to many coaches in town who introduce all sorts of stuff to make the hitter "less comfortable"and or claim their methods are cutting edge.

Two questions?

1) How can you tell how if a kid is beginning to exceed the ability of a coach to help him?

2) Is there a newer method- whether technology based or not,  that seems to be giving better results than a traditional method.

1. The law of diminishing returns. You could always ask around for another instructor who may have good results with someone else you know. Get a second opinion so to speak.

2. There is nothing new under the sun. You get younger guys and newer "teachers" skanking drills from other systems and naming them something else or coming up with fancy terms for things that were done in the past. What I like about new technology and the data is the ability for players to see in their numbers how they are improving when video may provide such minor change they may not see it or get excited about it. Quite a few instructors probably need the technology just to teach stuff, too.

disclaimer: I personally only work with HS and college players.