Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating private hitting coaches and methods"

2022OFDad posted:

And that is a natural swing, not an exaggerated loft swing or these crazy launch angles some guys are trying to teach. When I say “launch angle” or “loft” I am referring to a swing path that is intended to generate a deep, high fly ball, not a line-drive swing plane.

You are playing semantics.

Most high school players should be surprised when they hit a home run. If they aren’t, then they are probably physically mature or pro prospects.

If we are going to start talking about HS kids, kids looking at college or the draft I think you'll need to start looking at the player, as in body type etc. If a kid is athletic and has speed but maybe not raw power then a lower launch angle will work. If more raw power but not the speed/athleticism he is going to want a higher launch angle. With the game as it is today with the speed on defense, the shift, and pitchers throwing 95+ a big slow kid hitting even line drives is not of value.  I know this because the last for years the kid has worked out in front of an MLB scout who is about as far up the latter you can get. He wanted to draft the kid but he made it clear he needed to show him HR power on a consistent bases.  He explained it matter of fact. "What good does it do us to have you hitting singles or doubles. How are we going to get you home? You're no threat to steal, most likely couldn't score from second on a single". For the record the kid has 6.9-7.1 60 speed.

So, there is a reason some of these guys are teaching these "crazy launch angles".

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad