Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating private hitting coaches and methods"

SomeBaseballDad posted:
Multisportdad posted:

To clarify-  he only does lessons in the spring and early summer

Fall is football and winter is basketball!

I guess I'd ask when are you playing baseball there. Here we play spring/summer. Lessons winter/later winter so the player is locked in come the season.

The best instructor the kid had had a gift for seeing what was happening in the swing real time. It should be obvious how important this is to a hitting instructor yet I can't tell you how bad at it a lot of them are (along with every Tom, Dick, and Harry who offered advice). I had a high-speed camera during the kid's pre and HS years.  I wish I had a dollar for every time someone would comment about the kid's swing and they were just plain wrong. The last two years of TB his coach was a top level hitting instructor. I know this because he told everyone who would listen. Anyway, the kid would have a bad game and tell me "the coach says I'm doing x". We'd look at film and he was just wrong. 

The other thing that set him apart was after a while the lessons became as much about the approach/mental side of hitting as the physical.

He plays middle school ball through April.  Then travel through July.   He will play in a lot at PG or Lake Point in Atlanta during middle school ball (weekday games).  Plays fall ball tournaments, but can't practice much due to football and does not take lessons then.  He plays super loose in fall ball and kills it.  I think its partly because he is in super good football shape and his body/mind are extremely connected, but part of me also feels the stress is taken out of baseball due to no lessons/few practices.  So he is relaxed.

Fortunately for us, he is a sought after kid who has a place to play any weekend.