Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating private hitting coaches and methods"

Disagree with some of the comments.  I have coached hitting for 35+ years.  The swing is the swing regardless of age.  So, if you teach whatever philosophy it is you believe in as a hitting coach, that is what you coach for all.  How else would/could you justify telling a client and parents that you are instructing anything less than what you consider a high level swing.  Launch angle for most hitting coaches is nothing more that what Ted Williams stated in The Science of Hitting.  

Here are some things to think about:

• Can you sit in on lesson and watch the instructor instruct another hitter?  If not, why not?  I let parents sit in and watch and I encourage potential new clients and parents to do the same.
  • Do you agree with or understand the philosophy that the instructor uses?  "Experts" are a dime a dozen.  The level that one played doesn't mean that they know what they are doing and, if they do, that they can translate that to the hitter.
  • Does the terminology makes sense to you?  Remember, if you pick an instructor, you have to be able to assist your child/hitter and so, need to understand the terminology.  For example, "staying back" has a whole lot of different meanings.
  • How does the instructor instruct?  Personally, I would never pick an instructor who doesn't establish a running dialogue with the hitter.  My goal is to be so good that your child doesn't need me.  I don't have secrets.  I want them to know their swing as well as I will come to know it.  I want to be out of a job!
  • People often say that "word of mouth" is important.  Be careful!  Often if a hitter does poorly, the instructor gets the blame and often that hitter did poorly before they came to the instructor.  
  • Cost!  What is the going rate in the area and are you prepared to pay it?  This amazes me.  We have people paying upwards of $50+ per half hour.  Personally speaking, for that money, that instruction had better be good.
  • Facilities/Technology.  Safety first!  I think many of us have seen the video of the young man hitting a ball off of a machine where the ball came back and hit him in the face.  From there, you have so many other things to consider.  For example, my hitters have a second cage to hit in without my instruction.  It has Tanner Tees, screens, all types of balls, and it is used by both those who are reporting to lessons to get loose and those who have finished lessons who want to get more swings in.  I don't have the other gizmos that the expensive guys have.  I can't tell you bat exit speed.  I don't video every lesson.  I do video but a before, during and at the end video to show progress.  I used to use RVP but mine is down now.  If all of this matters, it comes with a cost.
  • Does your instructor come to watch your child/hitter in games?  I do as much as I can.  If not, will they breakdown game video?  
  • As pointed out, does your child need lessons every week?  Most hitting instructors will try to sell you a package.  They want that money up front and want their cage time set.  Some instructors have open slots for breaks, etc.  Is that time available to take your child/hitter every once in a while for a tune up.  I do this at the end of the day.  If you want that time slot, I'll stay.  

I hope that this helped some.  I am not an "Expert."  I don't run a business.  I teach hitting and help kids.  I try not to take on more than 22 hitters at any given time.  I am cheap.  I charge $15 per half hour.  Maybe you get what you pay for.  Maybe you get more.  LOL  Good luck finding what you are looking for.  

Last edited by CoachB25