Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating private hitting coaches and methods"

CoachB25 posted:

Lots of good info coach. Thanks for bringing it back to OP. I had to smile that I "followed" many of your bullet points you presented when we selected a hitting coach for my 2015. His coach was listed as the best hitting coach by the State HS Baseball Association, and my son's HS coach heard of him. Though he taught little to my son on launch angle, he taught my son how to hit with 2 strikes which is vital to his game. He focused on hitting the ball square, hard..line drives and the importance of his quick hands. Also taught him to hit behind runners and oppo which played to a strength.  Even today I'll notice the bigger swing son will take with a runner on third less than two outs and a favorable count. Those who are looking at him for the "next level" talk about him getting on base, putting pressure on the defense with his speed, and taking away runs with his glove. Not a one size fits all. I remember one instructor who worked with teammates of son who taught the "squash the bug" with an upper cut because every infield grounder is an out. We talk about finding a "good fit" for selecting colleges. I think the same can be said about hitting coaches.