Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating private hitting coaches and methods"

Multisportdad posted:

The coaches has the pedigree and is well respected.  His dad had a cup of coffee in the MLB.   I don't think Coach follows the new trends, or does a lot of research into new methods; but teaches what he knows (which seems considerable).    This is in contrast to many coaches in town who introduce all sorts of stuff to make the hitter "less comfortable"and or claim their methods are cutting edge.

Two questions?

1) How can you tell how if a kid is beginning to exceed the ability of a coach to help him?

2) Is there a newer method- whether technology based or not,  that seems to be giving better results than a traditional method.

To answer the original question. Outgrowing a coach can happen. They get so used to seeing the same problems and giving the same advice that it doesn't feel like he's progressing. 

I know you're not a baseball guy, but if you continue to see some of the same problems in his ABs (keeps grounding out to same position, lunging at slower pitching, hits the ball hard but never out of the IF) just ask around. Talk to the coach after the game, is there anything you think he needs to work on is always a good start. Talk to some of the more knowledgeable baseball parents or parents of the better players. See who they go to, ask if their son's ever had similar issues. Next time they go to a lesson ask to tag along and pay for/split the lesson. 

To answer the second question. There is no one size fits all answer. It varies by hitter. The methods and technology your son uses as practice don't make him a good hitter. What makes a player as good hitter is "hitting the ball good". The goal at his age should be to become a well rounded hitter. Goes gap to gap, puts the ball in play, patient, draws walks, minimal strikeouts, can start recognizing off speed pitches, protecting the plate, etc. I wouldn't worry so much about cutting edge tech and methods as much as I would focus on how do I get rid of any weak links.