Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating private hitting coaches and methods"

Just a quick update on what we did for my son when he began stagnating with his instructor (and remember, I am a non baseball guy who can't teach own son). 

We found a new guy, and wow, I didn't know what I didn't know.

To find him, asked around a lot,  narrowed it to about 5 guys, and spent some time watching them each give lessons.    If my presence wasn't obviously welcome,  I scratched him off the list.

I picked a highly regarded guy who seemed excited about teaching, ran an efficient lesson, and would actually keep working past the 30 minute mark.

Was it a good choice?  Yes,  he has liberated my son emotionally at the plate.  It is crazy how much more my son enjoys the game.

Now at the plate,  son's thought process is "to win every pitch and line out to the center fielder".  That's it.  This is something a 13 year old brain can wrap itself around!

Fast forward to the season, lots more hits, lots more XBH's, and far less stress at the plate regardless of the outcome.

So the moral of the story is this, if your son truly working and you think there may be an issue or disconnect with current instructor- let your loyalty be to your son, not the coach.  Do the due diligence.