Skip to main content

Reply to "Evaluating Programs"

Gov posted:
rally posted:

Fenway, I get what you are saying and mostly agree but I think you are assuming that my son is arrogant or unrealistic because I said he doesn't want to play for a mediocre program. I actually have enormous respect for his poise, clear thinking, lack of ego, and dedication. I think you are being dismissive of athletes on the site who are able to get to this level at all when you conjecture about them in a dismissive way. He doesn't want to be the big fish coming in. He's not conceited. But not all D3 programs take it all as seriously or run things as well as others. He wants a program that will test his mettle, with a training regimen and coaching that challenges and helps him grow. He wants a school that plays more games, has a good trainer, great pitching coach, good mound and facilities. He wants playing time and will work for it. 

Rally, if you look at Fenways posts over the years you'll find tons of valuable experiences, insight, honesty, and objectivity.  He's been around with multiple sons playing at elite schools.  He gets it; I don't think he was being dismissive or suggesting your son was arrogant or unrealistic. 

Very friendly and objective site here; everybody is trying to help.  Your son has some great opportunities in front of him.  Good luck with the journey.

Want to second this sentiment.  

The thing I think you need to realize is how very competitive college baseball is and how much attrition there is among  the players.   This includes many D3 teams.   I think that's mostly what's behind Fenway's advice.   When you're talking programs at the top of the food chain, including the top of the  D3 food chain,  you're talking about a level of competition unlike anything high school has to offer.   Being in a top  program, whether D1 or D3,  can be a really great experience, if you are good enough to be or become a significant contributor within that program.   If you're not,  then not so much. It can be a lot of pain for very little gain. That kind of thing can sap a guy's  desire  pretty quickly  -- especially when he starts  to add up all the stuff he has to forgo in order to devote himself  to college athletics.   Given some probability of it not working out as planned,  it really is important to love the school independently of baseball. 

If you want to maximize your chances of the baseball part working out,  it's also important to choose the right baseball program.  The big thing here is knowing where you stack up relative to the likely competition.   It's starts with brutal honesty with yourself.   But you also need to be direct but polite with any coach who is trying to recruit you.

How does the coach really see you fitting in?    To find that out, you may need to ask some pointed questions.  And you need to listen closely.  You need to listen  not just for what you want to hear, but also for things you don't want to hear.   You say all these coaches want your son.   How upfront have they been about where they see him fitting in?  How many other pitchers are they looking to bring in?   Are they prepared to say now?  Or are they leaving that vague?  

Another good thing to do is take a good hard look at  rosters going back several years.  Follow the trajectories of players through the program.  That will give you a sense of things like how much attrition there is in the program, or how frequently freshmen are given the opportunity to play a significant role.  

You know that a coach really and truly wants you when, and only when, you earn a significant place on the depth chart.  Everything else until then is just a flirtation. 

College coaches can be sort of like used car salesmen.  And you very much have to take a buyer beware approach toward them. 

Good luck and enjoy the ride! 

Last edited by SluggerDad